Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Screams to the universe

Ok this is essentially going to be a repost of another post of mine somewhere else I just feel that going and copying and pasting it here would be lazy.

Plus who knows I might have some new insights. And I think I just might knock out two birds with one stone.

One nifty things about evolution is that certain traits over generations can become more and more pronounced. This is usually a good thing but not always. And sometimes you can also see why those traits stuck around. Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway to matter at hand.

Working in youth ministry you get to work with lots of kids. And if you are any good you probably observe them.

When I first got started I noticed some of them were attention mongers. Now back in the day I did a lot to curtail and discourage this behavior. Unfortunately in this day and age the problem has become so rampant that the minute you try to plug a leak another three or four pop up.

I'm not complaining because no amount of complaining I am personally capable of doing will fix this problem. But I would like to make my observations known to the world in hope that if enough people complain this will no longer be a problem in few generations.

Now why is there so much attention mongering? In a nutshell it's screaming to the universe.

Now I wonder if perhaps we all scream to the universe. But some people scream out to the universe more loudly than others. And those people are growing in number.

Now what are the people screaming and maybe more importantly what are they screaming.

They are screaming out to the universe love me. And why well obviously because they are not feeling loved enough. The place they are first supposed to receive this love is at home from parents, family members, extended family, and the community. But unfortunately some parents these days are barely adults. And unfortunately maturity sometimes does not grow as fast as the human body.

Now if it was just screaming I would be ok. What has me concerned is the way this screaming manifests itself.

Now let's pick on some people. I know one young man who has so much potential and lots of talent. And he uses his skills for attention and instead of living up to his potential he abandons them for self gratification and is a general pain in the butt. Not entirely a bad thing except that it hinders or quite frankly is disruptive to the growth of those around him. Now keep in mind this is just a mild case.

But this has the potential to manifest its in much more drastic and potentially harmful way. For example I suspect (I haven't looked at any studies or done any research but I am willing to be serious money) that this might be part of the reason children are becoming sexually active at a much younger age and more sexually active. Sure sex is rumored to be fun. But I suspect that there many young ladies out there who mistake young boys using them as toys for their own fun as love.

Now sadly these are relatively tame examples.

So I'm gonna wrap this up because it is becoming rather lengthy. I have other related stuff to say but it is actually enough for another separate but related post.

So some parting points.

Sex is not love. Love is putting up with someone despite their flaws perhaps for the rest of their lives.

Mind the screaming and see what you can do to help alleviate it.

And finally parents love your kids. People love your family. And try to be kind and good to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment